SCULPTURES “VOYAGEURS” (The Travelers) by Bruno Catalano
- These sculptures of Bruno Catalano, delve into themes of travel, migration and journeying.
- Themes extend into exploring the ideas of home, belonging, loss and the experiences of a “world citizen”.
- Each statue carries a single suitcase, weighing them down, but also serving as their only means of support.
- Fascinating technically, artistically, and in its symbolism, the large omissions in the statues leave much to the imagination.
- These few examples of the sculptures of Bruno Catalano exhibit the skill of execution and gravity-defying fragility that are so powerful.
- The viewer is also easily able to project their own stories and given an opportunity to examine their own role as ‘world citizens’.
(Bruno Catalano was born in 1960 to a Sicilian family living in Morocco and raised in France)