There are over a hundred villages in the Faroe Islands. Nearly every single one of them is situated near the ocean, and to new visitors they may all seem to be very much alike. The houses are either painted in bright colours or the traditional black, whilst the roofs are often turf covered. The buildings are usually built very close to each other, which is very cosy. In most places sheep occupy the outfield throughout the whole year.
Although the history of the Faroe Islands dates back to the 6th century, towns didn't start to appear until very late. For instance, the capital, Torshavn, only counted about 100 inhabitants in 1900, whereas today the number has escalated into nearly 20,000. In the Faroe Islands, the traditional village was to a certain extent self-sufficient. When the fishing industry took off in 1872, it was the beginning of the end for the traditional way of life in the small villages as fishing replaced farming and the growing population chose to settle in the fast growing towns instead.
The Faroe Islands' primary industry is the fishing industry and the islands have one of the smallest independent economic entities in the world. The fishing industry accounts for over 80% of the total export value of goods, which are mainly processed fish products and fish farming. Tourism is the second largest industry, followed by woolen and other manufactured products.
Klaus's is the second largest town of the Faroe Islands. It has an important harbor with the fishing industry and a modern fishing fleet.
Ei'i is a large village located on the north-west tip of Eysturoy, Faroe Islands.
Porkeri is a village in the Faroe Islands, situated northeast of V'gur on Su'uroy's east coast. As of 2008 it had a population of 362, and it has been inhabited at least as early as the 14th century.
Funningur is located on the north-west coast of Eysturoy. About 70 people live in Funningur on both sides of a cascading stream in a compact cluster of houses around a small bay.
B'ur is a small village on the west-side of V'goy on the north side of S'rv'gsfj'r'ur, Faroe Islands. It has a magnificent view over the sea and the rocky islet Tindh'lmur with its many peaks, G'sh'lmur and the two "drangar", (tall, pointed clifftops sticking up from the sea). This motif is famous on many paintings and photographs.
T'rshavn is the capital and largest town of the Faroe Islands. The Vikings established their parliament on the Tinganes peninsula in 850 CE, thus T'rshavn was made capital of Faroe Islands and has remained so ever since. The town has grown rapidly ever since the turn of the 20th century into the undisputed administrative, economic and cultural center of the Faroes.
Gj�gv is a village located on the northeast tip of the island of Eysturoy, in the Faroe Islands and 63 km (39 mi) north by road from the capital of T�rshavn. The village was named after a 200-metre (650 ft) long sea-filled gorge that runs north to the sea from the village.
V�gur meaning Bay is a town and an important port on the island of Su�uroy, part of the Faroe Islands and an important port. It is situated on the east coast of the island on the V�gsfj�r�ur fjord, and was founded in the fourteenth century.
The town of Sandav�gur lies on the south coast of the Faroese island of V�gar, and has been voted the most well-kept village in the Faroes twice. The name Sandav�gur means sandy creek and refers to the beach down by the inlet.