- The Bailey Bridge, in the Ladakh valley in Jammu & Kashmir, is located at the highest altitude in the world. The 300 m long bridge is located at a height of 5,600 m, between the rivers Suru and Dras, which flow down from the high Himalayas. The Indian Army constructed this bridge in 1982.
- India is the birthplace of four major religions of the world, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism. Islam is the second largest religion of both India and the world. Interestingly, there are over 3,00,000 active mosques in India, which is the highest in comparison to any other country.
- More than 40% of mangoes in the world are grown in India.
- The ancient city of Varanasi, visited by Lord Buddha in 500 BC, is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world today.
- The highest cricket ground in the world is located in Chail, Himachal Pradesh. This ground was laid out in 1893 after a hilltop was levelled. It is located at a height of 2,444 meters above the sea level.
India happens to be the second largest English speaking country in the world.
- The most number of post offices in the world are found in India. There are more than 1.5 lakh post offices in the country.
- Indian Railways is the world's eighth largest employer, employing over 1.4 million people.
- Last, but not the least, just to get a better idea about the population situation of India - the number of births that take place in India every year is higher than the total population of Australia.